Monday 2 October 2017

Task 1 Research - Lighting and Colour Theory

Lighting and Colour Theory

The Persistence Game
When it came to the sketching examples I was given for this unit, I needed to know more about the game. I watched some YouTube videos online to help get an idea on the colour theme of the game. It is clear that they used some cold colours, such as blue and cyan to help build up the sense of isolation.  


In addition to this I noticed that they used a lot of emissive lighting in their game. Because of the dark setting, it is a great way to save some time on the lighting building process, but more importantly it give me the idea I need to make the crate designs.


The crate themselves is something I wanted to see too. They used a lot of hard surface textures and solid stripe patterns. I will attempt to follow this idea, but I want to make my crates feel unique.

  
I tried out the emissive idea on my test crate. I have used them on both the button and the core itself, to give them some interactivity. During the Unreal phase I can add a parameter to alter the emissive texture of this crate, to make it look damaged.

Lightning and Mood



Looking at the lighting and mood of the game on compassion of the in-game crate models they used some simple colours to help make them stand out. In addition to this they also used some simple textures techniques such as normal and decals to help reduce the poly count.


In my 3rd crate I too have applied this technique. By using some custom made alpha brushes that I made in Photoshop I imported them to substance painter and made a height map to increase their volume. This kind of process helps to make my crate stand out and keep the poly count to a minimum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment