Monday 23 October 2017

Task 2 - Crate Models

Crate Models

With the sketch plans completed I can now start the modelling process. Throughout this step I will be creating multiple versions of these crates. This is to ensure that the mistakes that I make can be undone just by using the previous model.

Crate 1 Model Examples


The first shape uses some tubes, so I attempted to add them in. I got the results I was after...but the poly count for them was too high. Because of this, I now had to think of another way to shape this model, but have a low poly count. I decided to leave the tubes out and add in some simple shapes. This in turn will help to reduce the poly count.

Crate 1 Final Result

  
Poly count: 936 tris
Methods used: extrude, append to polygon, extract faces, fill hole, mirror, separate 

Thanks to the simple design, I was able to create the shape I was after be under the recommended poly count of 1500 tris. The tube design is not present in this final model, but the animation method is still in place. That method being a light switch and the energy core lifting upwards. In my opinion the shape looks a but too basic, but this can be fixed via the use of the normal maps. As another interesting twist, I can change the shape of this model, so that it does not follow the same structure as the others.

Crate 2 Model Examples


For this model, I was trying to capture the same structure as the in game examples. Having something that closely relates to the crates in the game, may help them to blend in. At the same time I do not want them to be an exact copy, so I added my own flare to them.

Crate 2 Final Result

  
Poly Count: 1004 tris
Methods Used:  extrude, append to polygon, extract faces, fill hole, mirror, separate, bridge, bevel

Looking back at the examples, I decided to remove the hole and just add in to circle shapes. These will act as the rotating piece for this crate, steering away from the main idea I had for this 2nd crate. The removal of the holes does give me some free polys, which will allow me to play with it some more. This would be a great model to add in some tubes, but I will have to test this for myself to see if it looks aesthetically pleasing.

Crate 3 Examples


Following from the second crate, I have made a model that closely resembles the in game example. However I have gone for a more hard surface approach, which in my own opinion looks very promising.

Crate 3 Final Result

  
Poly Count: 1132 tris
Methods Used:  extrude, append to polygon, extract faces, fill hole, mirror, separate, chamfer, duplicate transform

I am really liking the design of this crate and it is clear this will be the one I will be using to present to the tutor. This crate both share appearances with the sketch and in-game examples I have bee given and the animation method is simple but effective. I decided to take the original animation idea I had for the second crate and apply it to this one. I feel like this kind of animation will be most suitable for this model, due to the structure of the model.  

No comments:

Post a Comment