Tuesday 19 December 2017

Task 4 - Recap of Design Decisions Taken

Recap of Design Designs Taken

Even though making these crates in something that I have done a few years ago, it is still good for me to go back and try out some new techniques, which is something that I did in this unit.

Making these crates with such a low poly count has been tricky for me, but it is indeed a common practice in the gaming industry. The website Sketch Fab has a collection of low poly models, showing off the amazing work this people can do with such a ow poly count.

One good technique that is used for low poly modelling is the sub-division. Polycount and OpenSubDiv all explain about subdividing and why it is useful. Because I am working with low and high poly models, using this tool will allow the models to keep there geometry. 

This is a method that is used for clean ups which I have explained here.

I always had some second thoughts about using subdivisions and clean-up because I thought they would give me issues. But what I discovered is that this kind of technique is ok to hard-surface modelling. As long as it is still in.

It is also dos not effect the model in the game engine too. This quote was take from the user SinnerSaint from Renderosity  

"Triangles rasterize quickly, and make it really easy for the render engine to process.  If you're goal is output to RT (Real-Time) engines, then using triangles is easier and faster than dealing with quads, which is why game engines use triangulated faces."

It is by following these industry standard practices I am able to make this crates to a professional quality. I always used to making lots of quads since I made a character in the past. But by now understanding the differences between organic and hard-poly modelling I know when to use the subsurface and how to correctly lay out the topology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment