Sunday 17 December 2017

Task 4 - Sketchfab Model Uploads

Sketchfab Model Uploads

With all of the work done I can now start to present my work. Even though I have done a level in the Unreal Engine, I decided to also upload them into the SketchFab. This website will allow me to present all of my models in a turntable format, giving the viewer full control of my model. In addition to this they can also see the topology and texture maps of my models so they can see for themselves all the details I have put into the crates.

Crate 1

Crate 1 in SketchFab
This crate was treated as more of a test for the other two models. I wanted to ensure that the tessellation process for my models were correct, in order to get the best rendering results and I wanted to try out the some other texturing techniques. What I did learn from this create is that the AO (ambient Occlusion) can affect the texture of my models. I get getting some strange artifacts around the edges of the crate. By adjusting the self occlusion to "by mesh" it remove the errors, resulting in a cleaner model. The crate does have a decal error on the UV, but this could be because of the UV clean up. In the end this was just a test for me and this knowledge came in handy when I made my other two crates. The animation was also simple and I did encounter any issues with that.

Crate 2

Crate 2 in Sketchfab
Crate 2 proved to be a simple model with a lot of issues. My first impression of it was that it lacked a lot of style. It was to plan and clean, so I decided to change the overall design of the model in general. My main focus point was on the normal and height maps, to ensure that I do to go too high on the poly count. The UV's had to be re-done, because even though I fill the 0-1 grid on the texture sheet, it look like a mess and there was a easier way I can clean it up. This was also a much need change to due a big artifact error on the edges of the crate. The seem on the model cause that error and so by change the UV's, I was able to not just solve the problem but also make it more efficient. I am very pleased with the results in the end. Like the first crate the animation went smoothly, although I did had to do some adjustments to the key frames to avoid some looping errors.

Crate 3

Crate 3 in SketchFab
By far my favourite and controversial crate out of the three. This crate has some textures that can only be done in the Unreal Engine, but as for the other textures they all work without the Engine. I wanted to do something that is seen a lot in the gaming industry and that is referencing other games. This crate has a reference to Destiny, but to avoid copyright issues I removed some parts of the decal and added in a grunge to give it that rusted feel. This crate also had some numerous lighting and baking issues but were easily fixed thanks to the knowledge I learned from the first one. The animations in this care are also more advanced, using a combination of translations to make the doors on top of the crate open and close. It is clear this crate is most suitable for a game and that is why I put the most effort in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment